Monday, February 1, 2016

cauliflower cheese soup



A lot has happened in the three years since I lasted posted! My mom battled stage 4 cancer and survived a bone marrow transplant in 2014. As a result of my research on anti-cancer diets, I became a pescatarian. In an effort to be healthier, my plant based diet no longer includes beef, pork, or poultry. I don't miss that stuff. Ever.

Lately, I've been reading Super Immunity by Dr. Joel Fuhrman which has confirmed some of what I already knew about immunity and the importance of an anti-inflammatory diet. However, the book also goes into depth about the power of cruciferous vegetables, so I'm trying to incorporate cauliflower into meals whenever I can. It just so happens the hubby likes cauliflower so this is a win-win.

This soup was relatively easy to make and so velvety smooth and creamy I know I'll be making it again soon! We don't eat cheese very often but the Borough Market Cheddar Cheese I found at Whole Foods was fantastic. This meal felt like such comfort food and was very filling.

adapted from Jamie Oliver's Recipe

serves 6-8
2 carrots
2 celery stalks
2 medium onions
2 cloves garlic
8 cups cauliflower florets (about 1 large head)
olive oil
1-3/4 quarts vegetable broth
sea salt
fresh ground pepper
8 ounces cheddar cheese
1 teaspoon prepared English mustard
nutmeg (for garnish)

to make your soup:
*peel and roughly slice carrots
*slice celery
* peel and roughly chop onions
*peel and slice garlic
*cut cauliflower into 1/2" slices
*heat broth in stock pot until boiling
*heat oil in large sauce pan on medium
*add all chopped and sliced ingredients and cook for 10 minutes with lid askew, stirring occasionally
*grate cheddar cheese and set aside
*add the veggies tot he stock pot and and bring to boil
*reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes
*remove from heat and season with salt and pepper
*add the cheese and mustard
*using an immersion blender, pulse soup until silky smooth
*divide between serving bowls and garish with nutmeg

No comments:

Post a Comment